- Americas region: Accounts for 9% of global shipping losses in 2017; piracy down year-over-year - Venezuela is top hot spot.
- Human error: Still major driver of incidents. Big data analysis of crew behavior may help.
- 94 large ships lost worldwide in 2017, down 38% over 10 years. Bad weather involved in 1 in 4 losses.
- “Mega ship” fires, emissions rules, climate change and automation pose new threats.
- Insurers expect more losses from cyber incidents and tech defects.
- Fridays are most dangerous at sea: 175 of 1,129 total losses reported over the past decade have occurred on Fridays.
- “New Bermuda Triangle” identified.