Print

Reports

Manufacturing facility: fire caused by battery charger

This case study analyzes a major claim in a meat processing facility. Fire (probably caused by an electrical malfunction from a battery charger unit) destroyed the entire building, resulting in a total production shotdown of 2 months.

Outlining various practical risk management lessons, this bulletin identifies that the damage was exacerbated by a combination of related factors, such as the presence of highly combustible building 'sandwich' panels, and a lack of interior fire cutoff partitioning.